Sunday, September 25, 2016

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. Is Now My S.O.N.


My husband and I were watching The Man From U.N.C.L.E. binge this weekend on “Decades” TV. We both enjoyed this popular, award-winning spy show as kids in the 60s, and I, like many other girls, had a crush on blond, “long-haired” David McCallum who played Illya Kuryakin. Co-star Robert Vaughn as Napoleon Solo was quite handsome as well—although he had the traditional clean-cut hairstyle and appeared older or more mature to me back then. I mean, as a kid, I thought he must be at least 40!

But as we were watching this weekend, I began to notice how YOUNG they both looked. Sometimes the camera would hit them at just the right angle and they seemed to have such baby faces. What was going on? I never felt that way before! What was different? Then it occurred to me. These men were now the same ages as our grown sons! I am old enough to be their mother! Eww.

So no wonder the show felt a little different to me. I was getting older, while Napoleon and Illya were locked in time. I even checked Wikipedia to find out their ages, and sure enough they were in their early to mid-30’s throughout the show, which ran from 1964-68. They are both 83 now. Wow. When my parents were that age, they were dead!

Okay, so now it seems a little weird to be crushing over baby-faced Illya. But at least I can still dream about being an U.N.C.L.E. secretary, like Barbara Moore who joined the cast as Lisa Rogers in the fourth season. Oh those beautiful women in their classy skirts and tops, fiddling with computer knobs and delivering important messages to all the spies at UNCLE Headquarters. The intrigue! The glamour! But wait, I think they only hired pretty, young women. So I’m too old for that, too. Sigh.

Oh well, the show is still fun to watch, even if those “uncles” are like sons to me. They are so cute, I just want to pinch their cheeks!!
  



1 comment:

Julie Ann said...

Do you know David McCallum was such a horrible Dad that one of his son's did drugs for years and then died of a drug overdose? David was publicly shamed for getting so drunk in public that he made a fool of himself! This is the kind of man you admire? A Father that gets sloppy drunk and couldn't instill enough morals into his kids to prevent them from doing mind alerting drugs!

And Robert Vaughn? Robert Vaughn, reveals how his life mirrored that of his TV alter ego as he indulged in sex and drugs on a string of outrageous adventures.

These are the men you look up to?!